Tuesday, July 31, 2007

We were asked to write a devotional for a Women's Ministries project at church. This is one of the ones that I wrote....
LIVE LIKE SAM
In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." Luke 15:10 (New International Version)
I was doing my brother a favor. Again. “Can you pick up Sam from mom’s house and bring him to a birthday party?” Sure, no problem. It isn’t like I have a life or anything. So, there I was, stuck in traffic on a Saturday, with 10 year old Sam sitting in the back seat. “So”, I said, in my best “I’m really an interested aunt” voice, “what’s new”? “Well,” he said in a small voice, “I think I led somebody to Jesus yesterday”. “Oh yeah”, I said, my voice cracking, “How did that happen?” “It was my friend, Cory,” he said. “I’ve been worried about him, cuz, see, he doesn’t go to church or nothin. I told him that if somethin happened to him, he was gonna go to hell…that was it. I said he had to ask Jesus to live in his heart…and then no matter what happened, he’d go straight to heaven. And that was a way better place to go…then I prayed the Sinner’s Prayer with him. “How do you even know that prayer?” I asked. “My dad taught me” he said confidently. “Then”, he continued, “I told Cory, see, because you did that, the angels in heaven are dancin”. He paused for a minute and then said, “Lauri, can we stop for ice cream”? We did get ice cream that day. 2 scoops. If we all had the courage of young Sam, to tell unbelievers, you have to make a decision for Jesus, or you are not going to heaven..and you’re running out of time, this world might be a very different place. I’m trying to do better….to share my faith….to change the world….to give the angels a reason to dance….to live like Sam.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Love it! So true, too, I need to try to be more like Sam every day!